104 West Street
P.O. Box 551
Annapolis, Maryland 21404-0551
Phone: (410) 263-5900 x1115
Fax: (410) 280-2230
Mr. Roling is a shareholder in the Firm who focuses his practice on the defense of medical malpractice cases. Since joining the Firm in 1989, Mr. Roling has tried over one-hundred jury trials, been involved in numerous appeals, and has practiced at all the levels of the Maryland court system, as well as tried cases in the District of Columbia. While the bulk of Mr. Roling's trial experience is in the realm of medical malpractice cases, he also has handled cases dealing with product liability issues, health care provider licensure litigation, criminal matters, and copyright and trademark law cases. His peers have voted him a Maryland SuperLawyer.In addition to this caseload, Mr. Roling has been active in pro bono endeavors. Specifically, Mr. Roling provides pro bono services to children with disabilities seeking assistance with special education issues, as well as disputes dealing with the disabled child's need for medical procedures. Other pro bono activities have included Mr. Roling's gubernatorial appointment to the State Advisory Council on Medical Privacy and Confidentiality (2000-2002), as well as his County Executive appointment to the Anne Arundel County Commissioner on Disabilities Issues (2003-2004). In addition to these appointments, Mr. Roling received a nomination by the Maryland Appellate Judicial Nominating Commission to the Court of Appeals of Maryland (2003).
Mr. Roling has given multiple lectures on the law of Maryland medical malpractice, participated in numerous Board panel discussions, and participated in mock trials to demonstrate the law of medical malpractice in a real context.
Mr. Roling is a Magna Cum Laude graduate of both the University of Maryland College Park (B.A. 1984) and the University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D. 1987), where he distinguished himself as the Comments Editor of the Law Review, and was named to the Heuisler Honor Society. As a member of the Law Review, Mr. Roling presaged his future legal career by authoring the comment entitled Transfusion-Associated Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS): Blood Bank Liability?, 16 U. Balt. L. Rev. 81 (1986). The comment was so well-received by the legal community that it was cited in numerous written court opinions. See e.g., Doe v. Miles Laboratories, Inc., Cutter Laboratories Division, 675 F. Supp. 1466, 1478 (D. MD. 1987); McKee v. Miles Laboratories, 675 F. Supp. 1060, 1064 (E.D. Ky. 1987); Kozup v. Georgetown University, 663 F. Supp. 1048, 1053 (D.D.C. 1987); and Roberts v. Suburban Hospital , 73 Md. App. 1, 12, 532 A.2d 1081, 1087 (1987).Upon his graduation from the University of Baltimore School of Law, Mr. Roling clerked for the Honorable Theodore G. Bloom of the Court of Special Appeals of Maryland. While so clerking, Mr. Roling concluded that he was to be a litigator. Thus, after working for a short while for the law firm of Arent, Fox, Kintner, Plotkin & Kahn in Washington, D.C., Mr. Roling returned to Annapolis in 1989 to be a litigator with Wharton Levin Ehrmantraut & Klein.
Mr. Roling is AV® Peer Review Rated in Martindale-Hubbell.
- Maryland, 1987
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1988
- District of Columbia, 1990
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit, 1991
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit, 1996
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland, 1987 J.D. Honors: Magna Cum Laude
- Law Review: University of Baltimore, 1985 to1986 Staff; 1986 to 1987 Comments Editor
- University of Maryland, 1984 B.A. Honors: Magna Cum Laude
Honors and Awards:
- Maryland SuperLawyer, 2010 - Present
- ABOTA, 2013
- Author, "Transfusion-Associated Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS): Blood Bank Liability?", 16 U. Balt. Law Review 81, 1986
- Contributor, "Anatomy of a Lawsuit: the Defense Perspective", 5 OB/GYN Malpractice Prevention 12, 1998
- Contributor: "Depositions: What You Need to Know", 6 OB/GYN Malpractice Prevention 1, 1999
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Anne Arundel County Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- State Advisory Council on Medical Privacy and Confidentiality, 2000 - 2002
- Member, Governor's Appointment