10300 Eaton Place, Suite 301
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: (703) 591-9700
Fax: (703) 591-0023
Mr. Walkinshaw is a Firm Shareholder who represents individuals and businesses in civil litigation, healthcare compliance matters, and investigations by state licensing boards.
As an accomplished trial lawyer, he has obtained defense verdicts in medical malpractice lawsuits in both federal and state court. Many of his defense verdicts have been reported in Virginia Lawyer’s Weekly.
Mr. Walkinshaw also assists healthcare providers when facing investigations for potential violations of HIPAA, Stark, the False Claims Act, and the Anti-Kickback statute. He further advises clients how to develop compliance solutions for these laws. For instance, he has helped national firms structure their business arrangements to either avoid triggering Stark and the Anti-Kickback statute or to come within a safe harbor.
Additionally, Mr. Walkinshaw represents individual healthcare providers when facing complaints filed with a state licensing board. He has experience not only negotiating with boards on disciplinary matters but also in pursuing his clients’ interests at formal administrative hearings.
Since beginning his legal career as a law clerk at the Virginia Court of Appeals, Mr. Walkinshaw has been sought after for his appellate expertise and superior writing ability. He has briefed or argued dozens of cases to the Virginia Supreme Court, Virginia Court of Appeals, D.C. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court. In doing so, he has addressed a wide variety of issues, including the Fourteenth Amendment’s Due Process clause, fraud, contract, worker’s compensation exclusivity bar, Virginia’s Birth-Related Neurological Injury Compensation Program, the Dead Man’s statute, and Virginia’s medical malpractice cap—to name just a few.
Mr. Walkinshaw has been recognized by Super Lawyers in Virginia and D.C. and as one of Virginia’s “Legal Elite” by Virginia Business Magazine.
- Virginia, 2003
- District of Columbia, 2008
- Maryland, 2011
- The United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims, 2017
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- University of Virginia, 1999 B.A
- The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, 2003 J.D., Magna Cum Laude
- 2007 Annual Review of Healthcare Law, University of Richmond Law Review, Volume 42, No. 2, 2007.
- 2007 Virginia Medical Law Report, Treater Depositions
Honors and Awards:
- Virginia, Super Lawyer, 2009-2014
- Washington, DC Super Lawyer, 2014
- Virginia “Legal Elite,” Virginia Business Magazine, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Riverside Hosp., Inc. v. Johnson, 272 Va. 518, 636 S.E.2d 416 (2006)
- Doctors' Hosp. of Williamsburg, LLC v. Stroube, 52 Va. App. 599, 665 S.E.2d 862 (2008)
- Etchebarne-Bourdin v. Radice, 982 A.2d 752 (D.C. 2009)
- Maryview Hosp. v. Woodard, 54 Va. App. 13, 675 S.E.2d 837 (2009)
- Hollingsworth v. Norfolk S. Ry., 279 Va. 360, 689 S.E.2d 651 (2010)
- Wright v. Commonwealth Primary Care, Inc., 445 Fed. Appx. 632 (4th Cir. 2011)
- Robertson v. Prince William Hosp., 486 Fed. Appx. 375 (4th Cir. 2012)
- Fiorucci v. Chinn, 288 Va. 444, 764 S.E.2d 85 (2014)
- Temple v. Mary Washington Hosp., Inc., 288 Va. 134, 762 S.E.2d 751 (2014)
- Simpson v. Roberts, 287 Va. 34, 752 S.E.2d 801 (2014)
- Women's Healthcare Assocs. v. Mucci, 64 Va. App. 420, 768 S.E.2d 720 (2015)
- Lopez-Rosario v. Habib, 291 Va. 293, 785 S.E.2d 214 (2016)